Thursday, February 3, 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...


...Tiffany blue, that is.  This was one of the first special occasion cakes I had been asked to make.  The theme for the bridal shower was "something blue."  The hostess of the shower asked me to do a cake that looked like a Tiffany & Co. box and coordinating cupcakes.  Anyone who knows me, can imagine how excited I was to be given such a task. 

The original plan was to cover a vanilla cake with Tiffany blue fondant and top off the "gift box" with a white fondant ribbon.  With a Tiffany & Co. box in hand, I set out to perfectly color the fondant and did not rest until I had achieved the perfect hue.  Unfortunately, I spent so much time dyeing and rolling the fondant that the minute it was set on the cake, the sides broke away and the cake was ruined...or so I thought.

On the verge of a nervous breakdown (this was the first cake I was baking that I was going to be paid for!!), I thought that there was no way to salvage the project.  Fortunately, I remembered a conversation with a friend who had just gotten married.  She was absolutely stunned that her wedding cake, which was covered in buttercream, was so smooth that it looked as though it was covered in fondant.  I whipped up another batch of buttercream, tinted it Tiffany blue, and began to breathe again.


My friend and the bride-to-be both loved the cake and I vowed NEVER to attempt a fondant covered cake again.  Almost a year later, I am moving past the initial trauma of that experience.  Perhaps one day, I will take a fondant course and give it another go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment